I found this recipe on epicurious.com. I liked this recipe immediately because it had such a short ingredient list, and I had all the ingredients on hand. I think you could add ingredients like mushrooms or tomatoes to this, or even omit some if you don't have something on hand. It comes together quickly and isn't a heavy meal.
Recipe, courtesy of epicurious.com
- 6 bacon slices
- 1 pound fusilli
- 3 ears corn, kernels cut from cob
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, coarsely chopped (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 (5- to 7-ounce) container basil pesto
- Cook bacon in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until crisp. Drain on paper towels; discard drippings from skillet.
- Meanwhile, cook fusilli in a pasta pot of boiling salted water (3 tablespoons salt for 6 quart water) until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta-cooking water, then add vegetables to pasta in pot and cook, partially covered, 2 minutes (water will stop boiling). Drain.
- Add pasta with vegetables to skillet along with pesto and 1/4 cup reserved cooking water and toss. Season with salt and moisten with additional cooking water if necessary.
- Top with crumbled bacon and a generous amount of freshly ground pepper