Ever since we visited that resort, we have attempted to re-create the salsa at home and this recipes is quite good!
You can control the spice by using a serrano instead of jalapeno for a hotter salsa. Or, use the white membrane and seeds from the jalapeno to make a spicier version as well. I think that roma tomatoes make for the best tomatoes for this because they tend to be a bit drier than vine. And of course, you can go with a larger dice to emulate a pico de gallo.
Ingredients to make approximately 1 cup:
- 2 large roma tomatoes, small dice
- 1 medium jalapeno, small dice
- 1/4 white onion, small dice
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 lime (to taste)
- Pinch of kosher salt (to taste)
- Optional ingredients: Cilantro, Garlic
- Finely dice tomatoes, jalapeno, onion. Place in a bowl and squeeze lime over the tomato mixture.
- Add pinch of kosher salt and taste to make sure there's enough lime and salt.
- Eat right away or let marinate to blend flavors more