Beef Empanadas from Leftover Pot Roast


I like making pot roast because I use the slow cooker, I can throw everything in, set it and forget it. But, Chris and I don't usually eat the entire pot roast in one night. The left overs will last us a couple of days. But, eating pot roast leftovers for more than a day is not usually something we end up doing...so, I decided to do something a bit different this last time, turning them into my version of beef empanadas.

The results were good! I served with salsa and spanish rice on the side. If I make them again, I will use a bit more taco seasoning to make them spicier. You can change up the spice level, moisture levels, cheese, and size easily. The ingriedients below yielded about 6 empanadas with leftover spicy beef mix.
These will freeze up wonderfully. Just prep them all the way to step 3 and freeze on a cookie sheet before moving to a ziploc bag.

Ingredients for roughly 6 empanadas:
  • 1 cup left over beef pot roast
  • 1 Tbs taco seasoning
  • 2 Tbs water (adjust based on how moist/dry the pot roast was)
  • 1/4 cup monterey jack cheese
  • 1 pre-made refrigerated pie crust cut into 5-inch rounds

Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 375. Add pot roast to a skillet and heat to medium high heat. When thoroughly heated add taco seasoning and water, adding a little more water & seasoning to compensate for pot roast that seems a bit more dried out. Stir until taco seasoning is incorporated.
  2. Roll out the pie crust and cut into 5-inch rounds. Fill the center of each round with 1-2 tablespoons of beef and 1 tablespoon of cheese.
  3. Fold dough over and use a fork to crimp the edges. Poke each empanada two times with a fork to create steam vents.
  4. Cook until golden brown, about 10 minutes
Posted by Picasa

Comments