Vegetarian Biscuits and Gravy


I had a major craving for biscuits and gravy this weekend, despite not being a fan of sausage. I don't think I've had the stuff for years and I'm really only familiar with my grandma's. Well, a trip to the grocery store and a sighting of Gimme Lean sausage inspired me to attempt a vegetarian version of biscuits and gravy for "brinner" tonight. I am by no means a vegetarian, (as evidenced by my OM bacon on the right), but I like Gimme Lean because I can get the sausage flavors that I like, while avoiding the sausage texture that I can't handle.

Here's what I did;
Put a little oil in a saute pan.
Saute about 3-4 inches of the Gimme Lean, and break it up in the pan. Cook until golden brown. Set aside.
Add 1.5T of butter in the pan, add 2T. of flour to form a roux. Cook for 1 min.
Add 1.5C. of milk, whisking frequently to avoid lumps.
Once mixture begins to thicken, add sausage to gravy.
Add pepper to taste (LOTS usually)
I added cayenne for an extra kick.

Pretty tasty! I think my sausage could have handled being sauteed a little longer, it was a little mushy and needed to be firmer. Next time!
Posted by Picasa

Comments