English Muffin Bread Loaf Recipe


This recipe intrigued me...I found it on Amber's Delectable Delights and it just seemed so simple I had to try it. The whole making bread from scratch thing makes me nervous (but I do it for the heavenly smell it creates in my kitchen), so I thought that this simple recipe would be a good recipe to try after having only done the No-Knead Bread recipe a few times...It also has a short rise time, which is great for my impatient stomach.

Source: Better Homes & Gardens, New Cook Book, Limited Breast Cancer Edition, pages 143-143, by way of Amber's Delectable Delights Blog
http://amberskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/10/world-day-of-bread-2008-english-muffin.html


Prep: 20 minutesRise: 45 minutes
Bake: 25 minutes
Makes: 2 loaves

Ingredients:
Cornmeal
6 cups all purpose flour
2 packages active dry yeast
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups milk
1/2 cup water1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Directions
1. Grease two 8x4x2-inch loaf pans. Lightly sprinkle pans with enough cornmeal to coat bottom and sides; set pans aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine 3 cups of the flour, the yeast, and baking soda; set aside. In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, water, sugar and, salt just until warm (120 to 130 degrees F). Using a wooden spoon, stir milk mixture into flour mixture. Stir in remaining flour.
3. Divide dough in half. Place dough in prepared pans. Sprinkle tops with cornmeal. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (about 45 minutes).4. Bake in a 400 degree oven about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove bread from pans. Cool on wire racks.

I found that this bread was VERY dense. Next time I think I would not add all of the flour all at once...instead I'd add it in gradually, and not necessarily use all 6 cups of flour. Secondly, I'd probably cut the whole recipe in half - my husband and I would never get through a full loaf before it started to go stale. And last this tasted pretty yummy toasted, buttered, and with a good amount of blackberry preserves!

Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. I'm sooo making this after I run out of english muffins at home (we just stocked up!). Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment