Homemade, Warm Applesauce


My husband and I have recently become a fan of The Great Dane's homemade applesauce. I figured it couldn't be that hard to get something similar out of my kitchen, so I thought that the pork BBQ I made for dinner this week would be nicely complemented by warm, homemade applesauce. The results were very good. My husband required a second serving!

I got this recipe from allrecipes.com.

Serves 4

Ingredients:
4 apples, peeled, cored and chopped - I used tart green apples
3/4 cups of water
1/4 cups of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon - I used a heaping teaspoon...

Directions:
In a saucepan, combine apples, water, sugar, and cinnamon. Cover, and cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, or until apples are soft. Allow to cool, then mash with a fork or potato masher.

I kind of mashed my apples as they cooked, rather than waiting for them to cool then mashing. At the end, when there was still a little bit of water at the bottom of the pot I cranked up the heat to reduce the water/sugar/cinnamon down and remove some of the watery moisture.

Served warm, alongside the pork sandwiches and corn.
Posted by Picasa

Comments