French Dip Sandwiches

I preface this recipe by saying I like the concept of using my slow cooker to prepare this sandwich, but have not yet found the proper beef broth mix. The recipe I used came relatively highly rated on allrecipes.com. and while I can't say that it was bad, I also cannot say that it was phenomenal either. Clearly it wasn't too bad because I ate my whole sandwich, and did use the broth for dip, but there was something about the broth that wasn't quite there. For finishing off this dish I sauteed some onions and mushrooms in butter until caramelized, and then used a slice of provolone in the sandwich and finished in the broiler.

If I were to make it again, I think i'll try for a recipe that uses a broth that doesn't incorporate soy sauce or a bay leaf.

Here's the recipe on Allrecipes.com:

Ingredients:
  • 1 (4 pound) boneless beef roast
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1 beef bouillon cube
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 3 whole black peppercorns
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 20 slices French bread

Directions:
  1. Remove and discard all visible fat from the roast. Place trimmed roast in a slow cooker.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine soy sauce, bouillon, bay leaf, peppercorns, rosemary, thyme, and garlic powder. Pour mixture over roast, and add enough water to almost cover roast. Cover, and cook on Low heat for 10 to 12 hours, or until meat is very tender.
  3. Remove meat from broth, reserving broth. Shred meat with a fork, and distribute on bread for sandwiches. Used reserved broth for dipping.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. I tried this recipe also, and felt like the broth was missing something (although I ate the entire sandwich) :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment