Broccoli Cheddar Bacon Quiche with a Potato Crust



There's a surprisingly quaint and tasty cafe near my office called Mana. They serve a special quiche daily, and I've found a slice of quiche and a light side salad is a rather satisfying lunch. I've never made one before, and haven't really researched very many recipes, but thought I'd give it a try. This recipe is a meld of two recipes I've found. For the crust, I didn't want to use a store-bought crust. Instead, in my browsing for a recipe that used potatoes, I came across several recipes using a potato crust! The potato crust recipe that I modeled mine after is here, on King Arthur Flour's website. The other recipe for the filling was one I found on trusty allrecipes.com titled "Easy Broccoli Quiche." I made slight modifications to both, and that is what I've posted below.
The verdict: The filling portion was quite tasty but took some time to bake. It came together easily with ingredients I had on hand. The crust, however was a major letdown. WAY too much work for little payoff. If I were to make the quiche again, I'd go with pre-bought crust to save some time. All in all, the recipe below took me nearly an hour and a half from start to finish (eating!) so I'd suggest skipping the potato crust part and just using a pre-bought, baked pie shell.

Ingredients:
Potato Crust
  • 3-4 fist sized (slightly larger than fist sized) yukon gold potatoes, or whatever kind you have around, shredded
  • 3-4 heaping tablespoons of all purpose flour
  • Sprinkle of salt
Filling
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 cups fresh broccoli, chopped in to small pieces
  • 8 strips of Oscar Mayer Fully Cooked bacon, cooked & crumbled
  • 1.5 cups shredded cheddar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups milk
  • 1/4 cup half and half
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper

Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Generously grease a 9-inch pie plate or cake pan
  2. Peel, rinse, shred potatoes. Squeeze shredded potatoes in a couple layers of paper towels to remove as much moisture as possible. Toss with flour.
  3. Press potatoes around the bottom and sides of the pan and bake for approximately 25 minutes. Remove potatoes from oven, brush lightly with oil, and bake for another 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prep the filling.
  4. Melt butter in small skillet and cook onions until transluscent. Add broccoli and cook until just barely cooked through.
  5. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, half and half, salt, and pepper.
  6. When potatoes are finished cooking, place a layer of cheese, veggies, sprinkle the bacon, and the rest of the cheese. Top mixture with the egg mix. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes or until center is set.


Comments