Green Chili Mashed Potatoes


Two Tex-Mex restaurants that my husband and I have been to many many times serve what's called Papas con Chile, which I LOVE. This is my first attempt at recreating those spicy, creamy mashed potatoes. I don't think I nailed it, but I believe I've certainly begun to head down the right path. This is essentially a basic mashed potato recipe, kicked up with some chile peppers and jalapenos. I didn't monitor my time, or take exact measurements of the butter, milk, cream and salt that I added. So, as you make this recipe, make sure you taste as you go, and add ingredients little by little to control the spice, creaminess and salt levels to your preferences.

Ingredients for about 3-4 servings:
  • 4 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and large diced
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup cream
  • 1 can of green chilis, drained
  • 1 tsp minced fresh jalapeno
  • 3/4 tsp kosher salt
  • Monterrey Jack Cheese (optional)

Directions:
  1. Bring pot with cold water and potatoes to a boil. Boil potatoes until tender. Drain, and return potatoes to pot on stove.
  2. Using a masher, mash potatoes and add in butter, milk and cream (you can use all milk, or half and half instead). Mash until combined.
  3. Add drained chili peppers and jalapenos (use less jalapeno if you prefer less spice). Stir to combine.
  4. Add salt to taste
  5. Top with Monterrey Jack cheese
Posted by Picasa

Comments