Well, if you've read the previous few posts, you'll know that I prepared a Thanksgiving turkey for 3 people, and the turkey breast weighed 8lbs. Needless to say, we had a LOT of turkey leftovers. Not to mention leftover peas, and turkey gravy. I've never made a turkey pot pie, but I thought that this would be the most efficient way to use up a lot of the leftovers we had plus get through some of the fresh veggies still on hand from the week before, like potatoes, carrots, and onion. I even had leftover biscuit dough from the fried biscuit donuts I made for breakfast this same morning! I winged this whole thing, so make sure that you taste as you go, adding what you need based on taste and consistency.
Overall the results were quite good! Hearty, full of yummy veggies. The biscuits were almost like dumpling texture underneath. I added spicy chipotle chili powder to the pot pie mix for a nice kick too. This is a great cold weather meal and perfect for Thanksgiving leftovers.
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion
- 2 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 carrots peeled and cubed1 Celery Stalk medium dice
- 6 Tbsp Flour
- 1 cup left over gravy
- 1.5 cups of Milk
- 1.5 cups broth (chicken/turkey/vegetable)
- Dash of chipotle chili powder (to taste - i added 1/8 tsp or so)
- 2 Cups cooked Turkey, diced
- 4 Buttermilk biscuit dough rounds, halved width-wise (or 8 regular biscuit dough rounds)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat butter and oil in a large, oven safe pot or dutch oven. Add diced onion and cook for two minutes until halfway translucent. Add in carrots and celery and continue to cook for another few minutes until onions are totally translucent.
- Add in flour and whisk, add in gravy and whisk until incorporated with flour.
- Whisk in milk and broth and cook until it begins to boil and thicken.
- If you wish the mix to be thicker, combine equal parts liquid from the pot with flour. Stir to combine thoroughly and return this slurry to the pot. This method will help you avoid lumps.
- When mixture reaches your desired thickness, add in diced turkey, season to taste with salt and pepper and top with the biscuits.
- Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until biscuits are cooked through