Alright, I owe an explanation for the lack of posts recently. In the last 6 weeks, I've had only two weekends without visitors or in town. So, I'm just now finding the energy to do an update!
My search continues for good freezer recipes, and this one does not fall short. Because my husband works from home, he's often left to fend for lunch from our fridge and pantry. This recipe is something I can prep for the freezer, and he can just heat up. A nice change from the usual PB&J. The recipe comes from Pennies on a Platter.
Ingredients for 8 taquitos:
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup green salsa
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice (juice from half a lime)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbsp sliced green onions
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded Mexican flavored cheese
- small flour or corn tortillas
- kosher salt
- cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 425˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, ground cumin, chili powder, onion powder and garlic. Once combined, stir in the cilantro and green onions. Add the chicken and cheese; mix thoroughly. (If you decided to prep this in advance, refrigerate the mixture at this point until ready to continue.)
- Working with a few tortillas at a time, heat them in the microwave between two paper towels until they are soft enough to roll (about 20 – 30 seconds).
- Spoon 2-3 Tablespoons of the chicken mixture onto the lower third of a tortilla. Roll the tortilla as tightly as you can.
- Place the rolled tortilla seam side down on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas until the mixture is gone. Make sure the taquitos are not touching each other. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream or guacamole.
**To freeze: Before baking, chill the taquitos on the baking sheet in the fridge. Once completely cooled, wrap each taquito individually with plastic wrap. Place in a labeled freezer bag and freeze. To bake a frozen taquito (no need to thaw first): Preheat oven to 425˚F and bake for 20 minutes.