I entertained last weekend for some friends I work with and this is one of the dishes I served alongside the Chicken Gyros & Tzatziki on this blog. I chose this salad because 1) I had most of the ingredients on hand, 2) it's beautiful and colorful, 3) I knew it was going to be HOT outside, and a cool salad sounded refreshing and 4) I thought it sounded good! This is super simple to modify with what you have on hand. You can top it with any sort of vinaigrette-type dressing and it'd make a delicious summer salad. Or, even top with grilled chicken for a complete meal. I used purchased Greek vinaigrette to top this salad...I was making a lot of other things from scratch for this little get together, and perfecting a Greek dressing for this wasn't something I felt like doing at the moment. However, if you are looking for a good Greek dressing, I have made the "Absolutely Fabulous Greek House Dressing" recipe on allrecipes.com in the past, and it would do well on this salad.
Ingredients (to easily serve 8-10 healthy portions):
- 3-4 heads Romaine Lettuce, washed and dried, chopped
- 1/2 Hot house cucumber, peeled and diced (alternatively, use a regular cucumber that you've de-seeded)
- 2 tomatoes, diced, and most of seeds, juice removed
- 1 roasted red pepper, diced
- 1 can of artichoke hearts, rinsed, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 very thinly sliced red onion
- Feta cheese
- Favorite Greek dressing
- Thoroughly wash and dry the romaine lettuce. Chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Dice remaining ingredients and add to romaine
- Toss with feta cheese
- Top with light coating of dressing just before serving. Otherwise, chill in refrigerator until ready.