Crunchy Greek Salad


I entertained last weekend for some friends I work with and this is one of the dishes I served alongside the Chicken Gyros & Tzatziki on this blog. I chose this salad because 1) I had most of the ingredients on hand, 2) it's beautiful and colorful, 3) I knew it was going to be HOT outside, and a cool salad sounded refreshing and 4) I thought it sounded good! This is super simple to modify with what you have on hand. You can top it with any sort of vinaigrette-type dressing and it'd make a delicious summer salad. Or, even top with grilled chicken for a complete meal. I used purchased Greek vinaigrette to top this salad...I was making a lot of other things from scratch for this little get together, and perfecting a Greek dressing for this wasn't something I felt like doing at the moment. However, if you are looking for a good Greek dressing, I have made the "Absolutely Fabulous Greek House Dressing" recipe on allrecipes.com in the past, and it would do well on this salad.

Ingredients (to easily serve 8-10 healthy portions):
  • 3-4 heads Romaine Lettuce, washed and dried, chopped
  • 1/2 Hot house cucumber, peeled and diced (alternatively, use a regular cucumber that you've de-seeded)
  • 2 tomatoes, diced, and most of seeds, juice removed
  • 1 roasted red pepper, diced
  • 1 can of artichoke hearts, rinsed, chopped into bite-sized pieces
  • 1/2 very thinly sliced red onion
  • Feta cheese
  • Favorite Greek dressing

Directions:
  1. Thoroughly wash and dry the romaine lettuce. Chop into bite-sized pieces.
  2. Dice remaining ingredients and add to romaine
  3. Toss with feta cheese
  4. Top with light coating of dressing just before serving. Otherwise, chill in refrigerator until ready.
Posted by Picasa

Comments