"Homemade" "Donuts"

Okay, I probably shouldn't even blog these because they're only partially homemade, and they're not really donuts. I don't even think I can really call this a recipe. But, they are SO GOOD. Like, make you drool thinking about them good. I learned this "recipe" for "homemade" "donuts" from my Grandma. She used a fry daddy almost exclusively for making these. And french fries.

Essentially what you're seeing above are powdered sugar covered fried biscuit dough. I've tried making these more homemade from scratch, and more like real donuts, but nothing I've done can even compare. I think that the results are so good that this is one thing that I can keep in my repertoire as-is. I'm not sure anything else can really compare.

"Ingredients"
  • Vegetable oil for frying
  • Store-bought buttermilk biscuit dough (I like using homestyle buttermilk biscuits)
  • 1/2 cup to 1 cup powdered sugar

Directions
  1. Heat 2 inches of oil in a large pot on medium-high heat. Test the heat by dropping a very tiny piece of biscuit dough in the oil. As soon as it starts to bubble, it's hot enough.
  2. Quarter the biscuits
  3. Drop biscuits carefully in hot oil. Remove when evenly browned, draining on paper towels
  4. Toss warm donuts in ziploc bag filled with powedered sugar
  5. Serve warm!
  6. .....Drool.....
Posted by Picasa

Comments