Bacon, Broccoli, Cheddar Quiche


Quiche makes a great brunch, lunch or dinner. It's easy to pull together with leftover ingredients with whatever is on hand. Extremely versatile and is something that you can pull out for guests, or just for a quick easy dinner. There are a couple of restaurants around Madison that do quiche really well. And inevitably when I eat there I end up craving the quiche just a couple days later. So, I figured I should add a recipe to my repertoire. Allrecipes.com has a highly rated recipe that I gave a try, and it makes a great starting point! Modifications I made were to the ingredients. I added bacon to the recipe and swapped mozzarella for cheddar.

This particular combination is one of my favorites. However when I make this again, I'll probably go a little lighter on the bacon, and trim the broccoli into smaller pieces.

Other combinations that I've seen work well in quiche:
- portabella mushrooms, red peppers and fontina
- ham and swiss
- black bean and pepper jack
- red pepper and mozzarella
The combinations are really limitless!

Here's the recipe, courtesy of allrecipes.com
Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 2 cups chopped fresh broccoli
  • 2 slices cooked bacon, crumbled (this isn't in the original recipe, but if you add, you should add bacon into the crust when adding the veggies)
  • 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (I swapped for cheddar)
  • 4 eggs, well beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Over medium-low heat melt butter in a large saucepan. Add onions, garlic and broccoli. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are soft. Spoon vegetables into crust and sprinkle with cheese. Add crumbled bacon here.
  3. Combine eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in melted butter. Pour egg mixture over vegetables and cheese.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until center has set.
Posted by Picasa

Comments