Skillet Toffee

Both of my husband's sisters received a box full of goodies this holiday season. The toffee here was one of those that I included. I found this recipe on thekitchn.com.

This recipe is pretty easy. And, it yields a lot (about 2 lbs). But, there are some things I learned after the fact that I wish I knew before I began the recipe. When I made this, I was also prepping caramel corn, peppermint patties, and snickerdoodles. So, my attention to frequent stirring at a constant speed and constant temperature was a bit lacking. And, this lack of attention resulted in a puddle of butter on top of the toffee when I poured it onto a pan to cool. So, next time I'll be heating the pot patiently on medium heat, and constantly stirring. That should help maintain the incorporation of the butter with the sugar.

The only modification I made to this is to swap the nuts for heath toffee bits, since I'm not a huge nut fan with my chocolate and toffee. I've seen M&Ms added, candy canes, and coconut added to the top of these too!

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound unsalted butter
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 8 ounces good quality semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1/3 cup (roughly) Heath Toffee Chips

Directions:
  1. Line the bottom and sides of a 10-inch x 15-inch baking sheet with parchment paper or use a silpat
  2. In a large cast iron skillet or nonstick pan, melt the butter over medium high heat. As the butter melts, stir in the sugar and salt. Continue stirring constantly and rapidly with a wooden spoon, keeping the sides of pan clean by brushing occasionally with a wet pastry brush. The mixture should bubble as you stir. Cook until the mixture turns a deep golden brown, taking care not to burn it. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
  3. Pour the mixture into the lined baking sheet. Allow to cool slightly, about 5 minutes, then sprinkle the mixture with the chocolate. When the chocolate looks glossy, spread it with an offset cake spatula or a wooden spatula, and sprinkle with the Heath crunch. Gently press the Heath into the chocolate with the palms of your hands.
  4. Cool completely (at least 6 hours) then break the toffee into chunks.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Post a Comment