Pumpkin Bread Pudding


This photo really doesn't do this dessert justice. So, I strongly suggest you check out the source of this recipe to see a photo that will certainly leave you drooling here, at Use Real Butter.

This is a very easy dessert to whip up and can definitely be a great pumpkin-based option for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Overall, the pumpkin flavor is fairly delicate and the spice flavor comes through nicely. I omitted the burbon because I had none in the house and that's not something I normally drink so I didn't want to spend the money on it. I also left out the allspice, because again, I had none in the house and never seem to use it.
The original recipe on Use Real Butter comes with a recipe for vanilla custard. I attempted making that, but didn't manage my temperatures properly and ultimately the custard curdled on me. So, I served with vanilla ice cream and was happy with the contrast of the cool creaminess of the ice cream and the warm bread pudding. Someone I know suggested serving with cinnamon ice cream and I think that would be amazing. Even a vanilla with caramel swirl would be good.

This recipe makes a lot, and would easily serve 6-8+ people. I modified the recipe slightly, and have included the modified recipe below. To see the original, plus the recipe for the Bourbon vanilla custard follow this link: Use Real Butter Pumpkin Bread Pudding
Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup cream
  • 3/4 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • pinch of ground cloves
  • 5 cups day-old baguette or crusty bread cubed about 1-inch
  • 6 tbsp (3 oz.) unsalted butter, melted


Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
  2. Toss the bread together with the butter in a large bowl. Set aside.
  3. Whisk the pumpkin, milk, cream, sugar, eggs, egg yolk, salt, and spices in another large bowl. Pour the pumpkin custard over the bread cubes and toss gently to coat.
  4. Pour into an 11x7-inch baking dish and bake 25 to 30 minutes until custard sets.
  5. Serve warm, with ice cream

Posted by Picasa

Comments