This photo really doesn't do this dessert justice. So, I strongly suggest you check out the source of this recipe to see a photo that will certainly leave you drooling here, at Use Real Butter.
This is a very easy dessert to whip up and can definitely be a great pumpkin-based option for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Overall, the pumpkin flavor is fairly delicate and the spice flavor comes through nicely. I omitted the burbon because I had none in the house and that's not something I normally drink so I didn't want to spend the money on it. I also left out the allspice, because again, I had none in the house and never seem to use it.
The original recipe on Use Real Butter comes with a recipe for vanilla custard. I attempted making that, but didn't manage my temperatures properly and ultimately the custard curdled on me. So, I served with vanilla ice cream and was happy with the contrast of the cool creaminess of the ice cream and the warm bread pudding. Someone I know suggested serving with cinnamon ice cream and I think that would be amazing. Even a vanilla with caramel swirl would be good.
This recipe makes a lot, and would easily serve 6-8+ people. I modified the recipe slightly, and have included the modified recipe below. To see the original, plus the recipe for the Bourbon vanilla custard follow this link: Use Real Butter Pumpkin Bread Pudding
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup cream
- 3/4 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- pinch of ground cloves
- 5 cups day-old baguette or crusty bread cubed about 1-inch
- 6 tbsp (3 oz.) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
- Toss the bread together with the butter in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk the pumpkin, milk, cream, sugar, eggs, egg yolk, salt, and spices in another large bowl. Pour the pumpkin custard over the bread cubes and toss gently to coat.
- Pour into an 11x7-inch baking dish and bake 25 to 30 minutes until custard sets.
- Serve warm, with ice cream