Fire Roasted Tomato Soup


A couple weeks back I wanted to eat a grilled cheese for dinner. But, knowing that wouldn't be enough to make a substantial meal for both of us, I decided to try a soup recipe that I saw pop up in my google reader from the Beantown Baker.

Basically, I wanted something creamy, and tomato-ey, with a little kick to go along with my grilled cheese. Beantown Baker's recipe seemed like it'd get me pretty close, and it was using canned tomatoes too which is a plus when it's winter in Wisconsin. Since this was essentially a "pantry" meal, meaning I was using up what was in my pantry instead of buying new groceries, I had to omit a couple of things...the fire roasted tomatoes with green chiles (I just used regular diced tomatoes) and the smoked paprika (I used regular paprika).

This soup was easy to make, but because it was very garlicky it ended up tasting like one of our favorite pasta sauces. It still made a great soup for dipping your gooey grilled cheese in. When I make it again I'll plan ahead so I can purchase the smoked paprika and the tomatoes with chiles, and will be sure to reduce the amount of garlic.

Here's the recipe as it appears on Beantown Baker's website.
Ingredients:

  • 1 roasted red bell pepper*
  • 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
  • 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes with green chilis
  • 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced (You may want to cut to 3 cloves garlic)
  • 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp salt (make sure to taste as you go. Canned tomatoes are salty, and so you may not need this)
  • 1 tsp cumin


Directions:

  1. On the stove top, heat olive oil and the minced garlic. Cook for a minute or two and add the tomatoes and cream. Stir, then add salt, cumin, and the paprika. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
  2. Add the roasted red pepper to the soup and then puree with an immersion blender (or food processor/blender).


*To roast the red bell pepper, place pepper under a broiler until skin is charred, about 10 minutes. Place in a ziploc bag and seal the top. When pepper is cool enough to handle remove the skin, rinse under cool water, and coarsely chop).
Posted by Picasa

Comments