To sum up the recipe, it was very creamy, very rich. I could have used a bit more sun-dried tomato flavor as the cheese and creaminess of the sauce tended to overwhelm all the other flavors. For a quick weeknight meal, this one is an easy one to add to the arsenal.
Here's the original recipe from Carnation: Pasta with Sun Dried Tomato Sauce
- 2 cups (8 oz.) dry penne pasta
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) Nestle Carnation Evaporated Lowfat 2% milk
- 2 cups (8-oz. pkg.) shredded Italian-style four-cheese blend
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Prepare pasta according to package directions, adding sun-dried tomatoes to boiling pasta water for last two minutes of cooking time; drain.
- Meanwhile, combine evaporated milk, cheese, basil, garlic powder and pepper in medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
- Add pasta and sun-dried tomatoes to cheese sauce; stir until combined.