I saw this recipe on pinterest.com. It originates from SkinnyTaste.com. So, it gets bonus points for being healthy, coming in at just under 300 calories/serving. I also like it because I can make everything in one pot. And, it is just plain yummy.
Honestly, next time I'll add a bit more parmesan cheese. The quantity called for in the recipe is barely discernable amid the flavor of the broccoli. Other things to note - DONT add the broccoli at the beginning of cooking the noodles. Wait until they're almost done, then toss in the broccoli, bring it back to a boil and let it cook for just a few minutes. Otherwise, you'll get boring, mushy broccoli. It also needs a healthy pinch of salt and good few grinds of cracked black pepper to punch it up.
Here's the recipe from SkinnyTaste.com:
- 12 oz uncooked pasta
- 6 1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets, no stems
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. When water boils, add pasta. About halfway through, add broccoli and cook until noodles and broccoli are al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water and set aside. Drain pasta and broccoli.
- Return the pot to the stove and set heat to medium. Add 1 tbsp olive oil, when hot, add garlic. Cook until golden (don't burn!), reduce flame to low and add pasta back to the pot. Mix well, add remaining olive oil, grated cheese, salt and pepper to taste mixing well and smashing any large pieces of broccoli to break up.
- Add 1/2 cup of reserved pasta water and mix well adding more if needed. You're looking for a slightly shiny consistency.
- Serve in pasta bowls with additional grated cheese on the side.