Thai Curried Noodles with Broccoli & Tofu

I love curry sauce. I love noodles. I love broccoli. I don't love tofu. But, when you throw those first three things together and toss in some tofu, I'll eat it all.

This is a great meal for a healthy, light dinner. It takes probably 30 minutes to make total, including prep time. And the flavor is light and refreshing with a hint of heat. Personally, my favorite thing about this dish is the way the broccoli florets grab hold of the curry sauce and are like little bursts of sauciness when you bite into them. I also like this recipe because it's different from what we usually eat when we eat noodles (i.e. it's not Italian) and it changes things up a bit from the usual fare we serve in our house. I can go either way on the tofu. I can eat a little bit of it, but after a while the texture starts to weird me out. I think the tofu is a great way to incorporate some protein into the dish. But honestly, I'd consider sauteeing some chicken up and just tossing into the dish next time.

Here's the recipe, adapted from Vegetarian Times.
Ingredients, serves 6:

  • 2 tsp. vegetable oil
  • 2 large shallots, chopped (1 cup)
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro stems, plus 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves, for garnish
  • 2 Tbs. yellow or red Thai curry paste
  • 1 tsp. curry powder
  • 1 tsp. ground turmeric
  • 1 15-oz. can light coconut milk
  • 3/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
  • 2 tsp. light brown sugar
  • 1 12-oz. pkg. firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 5 oz. dry fettuccine
  • 5 cups broccoli florets
  • 6 lime wedges, for garnish


Directions:

  1. Heat oil in medium pot over medium-high heat. Sauté shallots in oil 2 minutes. Add cilantro stems, curry paste, curry powder, and turmeric; cook 1 minute.
  2. Stir in coconut milk, broth, and brown sugar, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 5 minutes, then stir in tofu. Simmer 10 minutes.
  3. Cook fettuccine in large pot of boiling salted water according to package directions. Add broccoli to pot for last 2 minutes of cooking time.
  4. Drain, and add to tofu-curry mixture. Mix well, and serve with lime wedges and chopped cilantro.

Posted by Picasa

Comments