Bistec con Rajas y Queso (Steak with Peppers & Cheese)

 
I recently went to a cooking demonstration at a great little gift shop and kitchen supply store in Madison called Orange Tree Imports. These demonstrations are typically led by a local Madison restaurant chef, and the "South of the Border" class I attended was no exception being led by Matt Myers, the chef at the restaurant Brocach (which is oddly, an Irish restaurant). 

He made three things - Chile Rellenos with Spicy Arbol Salsa, Fish Tacos with Southwestern Slaw and Chile Aioli, and this recipe, Bistec con Rajas y Queso. All three dishes were delicious, and I thought that the Bistec recipe was one that Chris would really like. 

This really is quite an easy recipe and a very yummy dish. You can use any cut of steak, but I chose a ribeye. Make sure not to over-cook it and it'll remain tender and delicious. The other great thing about this recipe is that it's almost like a steak version of queso fundido, if you have the right cheese...I wanted to make sure I had something really creamy and gooey so I chose a Monterrey Jack and something called "Queso Quesadilla" which I hadn't really heard of until I rifled through the cheese section at the Willy Street Co-Op. The Queso Quesadilla is very mild and melts wonderfully, so I'm glad I used it!

Here's the recipe for 2-3 people: 
Ingredients: 
  • 2 poblano peppers
  • 1/2 yellow onion, sliced thinly
  • 1 ribeye steak, about 8-10 ounces, sliced into strips
  • 3/4 cup of your favorite salsa
  • 3/4 cup of cheese (blend of Monterrey Jack & Queso Quesadilla)
  • Warmed Corn Tortillas for serving

Directions: 
  1. Roast the poblano peppers under a broiler or over a flame until skin is blackened, about 10-15 minutes. Place into a plastic bag until cool to the touch and then remove skin. Remove the stem and seed pod and slice into strips and set aside
  2. Saute onions in large skillet on high heat, add steak and saute until almost cooked through. Add salsa and poblanos and cook until warmed through. Add cheese and stir until melted.
  3. Serve with warm corn tortillas!

Posted by Picasa

Comments