Lemon Rhubarb Snack Cake


In my CSA box from a couple of weeks ago I got a bunch of rhubarb. I'll be honest, I've eaten rhubarb maybe once or twice in my life. I have certainly never cooked with it. I saw some photos around the web for lemon rhubarb cake, muffins and bread, but when I saw that one of my favorite food bloggers, smitten kitchen, blogged a Rhubarb Snack Cake that used really simple, on-hand ingredients I bookmarked it to try with all the rhubarb I got.

This cake is very yummy. Tang, sweet and very much snackable. Plus you just bake it in a regular 9x13 pan instead of getting fancy with a loaf pan or bundt pan.

I added more lemon juice and lemon zest than the recipe called for since we're a lemon-loving household. That's really the only modification I made to the recipe. I'd certainly make this again, and think the lemon base is easily adaptable to any fruit that is available to you like blueberries, or raspberries.

Recipe from Smitten Kitchen:
Ingredients:
Cake -

  • 1 1/4 pound rhubarb, trimmed and ct into 1/2-inch lengths
  • 1 1/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
  • 1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon table salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
Crumb Topping

  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
Directions

  1. Preheat your oven to 350. Coat bottom and sides of 9x13 inch baking pan with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Stir together rhubarb, lemon juice and 2/3 cup sugar and set aside
  3. Beat butter, remaining sugar and lemon zest with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down sides after each addition. Add one third of this mixture to the batter, mixing until just combined. Continue, adding half the sour cream, the second third of the flour mixture, the remaining sour cream, and then the remaining flour mixture, mixing between each addition until just combined. 
  4. Dollop batter over prepared pan then use a spatula to spread the cake into an even, thin layer. Pour the rhubarb mixture over the cake, spreading it into an even layer. 
  5. Stir together the crumb mixture, first whisking the flour, brown sugar, table salt and cinnamon together, then stirring the melted butter with a spoon or fork. Scatter evenly over the rhubab layer. 
  6. Bake cake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes until cake batter is set (test with toothpick). It will be golden on top. 

Comments