Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches


Despite the fact that I am happily married, I have a new love in my life...for ice cream. But, not just any ice cream. It's AMAZING ice cream by Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams based out of Columbus, OH. I had heard about this ice cream on some TV show on HGTV a few years ago and figured it was just one of those things that I'd have to try if I ever found my way to Columbus. But then, it showed up at Fromagination in Madison. And so I bought a pint of the Brown Butter Almond Brittle. And then it showed up at Metcalfe's (much closer to my house). And now, it's a problem for me. Well, mostly a problem for my waistline because once I take a spoonful I. cannot. stop.

So, when I found myself bored and staring at a gigantic jar of extra crunchy peanut butter I thought "yes, let's take this amazingly rich ice cream and plop it between two super rich homemade peanut butter cookies, and then eat it! Yes! Brilliant! I won't get a stomach ache from that at all!" So of course I did it.

I strongly suggest that sometime this summer you do two things; 1) Buy a pint of Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream (and try really really hard not to eat it all as you stow it in your freezer. Save a couple scoops for step two...), and then 2) make some homemade cookies and turn them into an ice cream sandwich! Of course, you could go a step further and make your own ice cream. But trust me, the Brown Butter Almond Brittle is perfectly paired with salty-sweet peanut butter cookies in an ice cream sandwich...you won't be disappointed.

Here's the recipe for the Peanut Butter Cookies originally from JIF on Allrecipes.com. Instructions on how to build your ice cream sandwich follow.
Ingredients:

  • 1 1/4 packed brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup Jif Extra Crunchy Peanut Butter
  • 1/2 cup Crisco
  • 3 Tbsp Milk
  • 1 Tbsp Vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 1 3/4 cups sifted all purpose flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp salt

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. 
  2. Combine brown sugar, JIF peanut butter, shortening, milk, and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until well blended. Add egg. Beat until just blended. 
  3. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to creamed mixture at low speed. Mix until just blended. 
  4. For uniformly-sized cookies, use a cookie scoop drop to drop cookies on to cookie sheet, 2 inches apart (or roll into a ball and place on the sheet). Flatten slightly with a fork. 
  5. Bake for 7-8 minutes or until just set and beginning to brown. Do not overbake. 
To form the ice cream sandwiches, make sure cookies are completely cool. Working quickly, take two cookies of similar diameter. Place one scoop of ice cream on the non-forked side. Match up the other cookie, and wrap in wax paper. Store in the freezer until firmed up. Then eat it! 


Comments