Tabbouleh

I was introduced to tabbouleh a few years ago when I was in New York. We had some from the deli of a the Amish Market near my sister-in-law's apartment. I think I inhaled an entire tub myself. Ever since then, I've been on the lookout for a tabbouleh recipe that'd hit the spot like the Amish Market tabbouleh did. I think this recipe is close!

Overall this recipe is pretty simple I love the tang that the lemons add to this recipe. Combined with the cool tomatoes, and surprising flavor of parsley, this little salad is a great partner to light meals or a good 'munch-all-day' snack. I served this tonight with my chicken caesar pitas and some rice pilaf. I plan to also eat it alongside the Gryo's that are planned for tomorrow night thanks to a recipe on Annie's Eats. A tortilla chip is my vehicle of choice for getting this lemony dish to my mouth, but pita bread would be good too.

Next time I plan to soak the bulghur wheat a little longer than the 10 minutes the recipe suggested. 10 minutes left the bulghur a little too crunchy for my taste. However, I imagine that the longer the tabbouleh sits in my fridge all mixed up, the bulgher will continue to soak up the olive oil and lemon juices and become softer.

Here's the recipe on wholeliving.com: Tabbouleh

Or halved below (which makes about 2 cups):
  • 1/2 cup bulghur wheat - You can find this in the bulk food section of the grocery store
  • 2 plum tomatoes, finely chopped, with their juice
  • 1/2 cups plus 6 Tbs finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (about 1 medium bunch) I eyeballed the parsley. You don't want to overdo it!
  • 2 scallions, finely chopped
  • Juice of 1 Lemon
  • 1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt (or to taste!)
  • 2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint

Directions
  1. Soak bulghur in cold water 10 minutes. Drain in a sieve lined with damp cheesecloth; squeeze out all water. Transfer to a serving bowl; fluff with a fork.
  2. Stir in tomatoes with juice, parsley, and scallions. Add lemon juice, salt, and oil; season with pepper. Toss to coat. Just before serving, stir in mint.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Post a Comment